Saturday, October 24, 2009

Pepper Lunch

Category: Restaurants
Cuisine: Steak / Seafood
LocationIsetan Scotts, Singapore
Craving Score: 4 / 5 (You'll come back for more)

There I was peacefully eating my Hainanese Chicken Rice at a bustling food court when two ladies wearing skimpy shorts and boots walked by carrying a big smoking dish covered with paper. Of course I never noticed the ladies wearing the skimpy shorts (I noticed the skimpy boots though). The aroma that came from that smoking dish made me hungry (again) even after finishing my meal. So I spied a peek (no, not at the skimpy shorts - they were black) and found out that there was this stall called 'Pepper Lunch'. And I vowed on that day that I will eat something from that place (and I don't have to wear skimpy shorts).


Fifty or so food court days later, I finally got the chance to sit down properly and eat at Pepper Lunch. This time at the basement level of Isetan Mall at Scotts road. Choices included chicken, beef and an assortment of steaks all served in a sizzling hot plate with pepper rice. There were some weird pastas served the same way (minus the rice) and it really did not tickle my taste buds. So I settled for the Salmon Pepper Rice (which was on sale - a very good invitation). It was served in a round sizzling plate covered with a paper border all around. I guess it was partly to save the people from being fizzled by all that sizzling. Instructions on the piece of paper said to mix the pepper rice right away and infuse it with their super secret spices (nah, just some fancy thing they put in). I was looking for those sauces when I realized it was already part of the rice pepper mixture. So literally, they are telling you to mix the rice up as most of the meat is at the sides anyway and their spices are already in the rice mix. Since I'm not a big fan of scorching my tongue with uber hot meals, I decided to go for the salad first, which came in a plastic cup. Fancy, and quite good for a bunch of leaves and some corn. A great appetizer it's not, but it's a healthier alternative to french fries. On to the Salmon Pepper Rice then. It was a delightful munch. For a fast food steak joint, that Norwegian Salmon just melts in your mouth like it was done up by a chef. It is not the best Salmon steak I have had, but it is definitely top notch. For the money I paid, this was worth it. The pepper rice, which was supposed to be the core of it all, would take a back seat in your mouth's palate. But it does accentuate the taste of the meat. More so in the Salmon compared to their steaks. And this is a very welcome taste.


I have had other encounters with Pepper Lunch since then, and although it is pricier than the rest of the stuff I consume on a daily basis, this is one treat I always look forward to. The steaks are always a safe bet (rib eye! rib eye!), but the rest of the menu also serves great food. Don't be fooled by the name, this meal is neither chili hot like pepper nor is it just for lunch. One of the secrets of how this became fast food is the way their iron plate is heated up to cooking temperatures in 70 seconds and keeping the temp up for 20 minutes. Amazing fact. Amazing food.

No comments:

Post a Comment