Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Worlds of Fantasy, Disney on Ice

Category: Live Show 
Genre: Fantasy and Children 
Production: Disney  

Viewer Score: 4 / 5 (Great!)



I watched Worlds on Ice more than a decade ago. I think I was already in secondary school back then. My parents brought the whole family along to watch it, and it was not a Disney production. So you can imagine my lack of enthusiasm back then. I mean, I live in a tropical coutry where the only ice I see is inside the freezer.



Some time after that show, Disney came out with their own version. A decade and several years later, I am now able to bring my son to watch an ice skating show. 


Having the name Disney at the front of the title immediately makes this show different. And don't dismiss it as a kiddie show as well, because this father enjoyed it as much as his kid did. From my perspective, it was probably due to nostalgia. The characters of the ice show were from the era of cell shaded animation (most of them anyway), and not those CG movies that came out from the early 2000's. For my 5 year old though, seeing his cartoons come to life was a big deal. Hey, I was impressed and actually delighted to see Lightning McQueen and Mater in the -err -metal.


As a musical, it definitely has that Disney magic. For my son, it was definitely a thrill to see Mickey Mouse and friends, not so much as skating, but simply to see them in a different light (ergo, not through a TV screen). As expected, you cannot really emulate everything from TV to a real scale version, moreso for animated films. But you have to give credit to the staff for producing a noteworthy and enchanting world that will tickle the imagination. Even if you are watching this from a non-Disney fan's perspective, you would still enjoy the show. You will get more out of it if you have watched the cartoons before, but it won't really be a handicap.




Would I recommend it? Yes, definitely. Of course, there is a matter of pricing. If they priced it a tad lower than how much I had to pay for, I probably would watch it a second time. Still, it's a great show for kids and kids-at-heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment